Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Friday, August 04, 2006

Good thing I don't believe in omens

So, yesterday I went to the regular doctor for a thyroid check-up. He told me he's not completely sure what to do because my labs are deviating from normal (no! not me!) patterns of thyroid issues. So he was ordering a more specific test and continuing the low dose of thyroid medication I've been taking. He sent me home with a refill script and plans to figure out if this really needs treatment or not based on the new test results.

When I started the medication it was called in. I thought the nurse had told me the dose was 25 mcg, but when the pharmacy gave me 100 mcg I assumed I had misunderstood. I was very sick at that time and also had been sleeping a sedated sleep when she called. So I never questioned it. When the doctor gave me a script for 25 mcg yesterday I thought I had remembered the dose I was taking wrong. I checked the bottle at home and lo and behold I was taking 100 mcg for the last month. I called and talked to him and the pharmacy screwed up. Which means thanks to them it's going to be pretty hard to figure out if I actually need thyroid medicine or if my thyroid is recovering from my lithium toxicity on its own. I also may now be hyperthyroid which is the LAST thing I need since it shares symptoms with mania.

The worst part is that this is the second time this pharmacy screwed up my dose. This is a big national chain, but not the sharpest branch. I only continued to go there because the next place is so far from home, and because at least the people there know my name (which is good when you're on so many meds). The first time I picked up a refill of Depakote and when I opened the bottle that night it was immediately obvious they had given me the wrong dose because the pills were the wrong color. I called them the next day and they refused to correct the error, telling me that I took that dosage (um sure, I have a lot of trouble telling the difference between grey and hot pink pills). So I left a message for my psychiatrist that she needed to call them (this was on a Sunday and I thought I'd be medication-less until Monday), who wound up calling them and forcefully talking them into staying open until I could get there to pick up the correct pills.

This time I'm switching to the much less pharmacy 30 minutes from home. I am not pleased.

Then about 2 hours later I was aware a storm was approaching when the power went out. The full story is tedious, but I spent a long night in the dark, couldn't take meds because I rely on the tv to distract me so I don't gag and I'm not about to start the gagging routine again, was told by the power company it would be on by 3 am, and they lied (obviously no other explanation is possible). I had no food that didn't need preparation, things in the fridge were getting warmer by the hour, and it turns out that this street is really, really dark without streetlights. So I was up most of the night and awoke to find.....no electricity! Along with this I had melting ice cream, defrosted meat, etc. I had potato chips for breakfast. Ultimately I think the power was out 20 hours or more. I had to throw out everything in my refrigerator. What an incredible waste.

So I have to keep hoping this stuff is happening to make me want out of the house even more than I already do....'Cause it's working!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

UGH I hate hate hate being without power. It absolutely sucks ass. I'm really sorry that your pharmacy has failed you so often. I would call or write to them and tell headquarters about things ... or ask your psych to do so - because that's just not right. I hope that your doctors can get everything figured out!!!
xoxo