Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Monday, February 13, 2006

To the students

Sometimes it's all about who you know....In the last 8 hours my blog traffic has increased by about 300%. Or more. I can't do math. This is all thanks to my friend Throckmorton (yay, my first link, I wondered how to do that) and his class. Some of whom possibly prefer reading blogs to class?:)

Anyway, welcome students of my undergrad alma mater. I'm trying to no avail to get you bonus points. Please feel free to read, to comment, and most of all to ask questions. I am a fairly shy person about many things, and deciding to be open here was not easy. But I feel led to do this as much as I have ever felt about anything, and I need your help to do it right. Ask anything. I have done everything from having a fairly dramatic diagnosis to participating in a drug trial to screaming at a psychiatrist at the top of my lungs because she was trying to involuntarily commit me. (Pink slips truly are pink!) I've done embarrassing and impulsive things, I have lost many precious friends, I've taken meds that people I work with regard with awe. ("Did you know this stuff can cause spontaneous heart stoppage?" "Yep, just stopped taking it 2 months ago!") I've wet my pants at work from side effects. I've been called crazy in staff meetings, by someone who meant it. And I have learned so much. I believe Dr. T would agree that I am not the same person who started this journey. And I am the better for it, although at times I think we've all wondered who the first casuality would be.

The best thing about a career with psychiatric patients is that every single one can and will make an impression that lasts forever. Please give me a chance to show you one impression which will make you a better professional for the rest of your life.

1 comment:

W. Throckmorton said...

Sometimes I prefer reading and writing blogs to class; but that has to stay a secret :)