Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Friday, June 07, 2013

live and learn

When I am struggling I often return to books from childhood that I have loved.  I read them several times a year and even though I can recite passages I love them still.  Books made my childhood stable and were a way to step outside the pain.

I still remember the first time I read Anne of Green Gables.  My mom gave it to me and said I'd love it.  The first several pages made me think it was a book about fantasy woodland critters instead of people (I have no idea why).  I wasn't thrilled.  By the end of the first chapter I was hooked for life.  One of the nicest things my parents ever did for me was to add a little to a vacation to spend a day on Prince Edward Island looking at Anne museums and the like.  I've loved all of the novels by this author and wish more of them had survived childhood.

I have just been reading it again and thought to look something up on the internet.  I found that to my surprise this favorite author who wrote such uplifting and inspiring books had suffered from depression or bipolar disorder and had killed herself, a secret kept by her family until the 100th anniversary of the release of Anne of Green Gables.

Mental illness is everywhere and it's sad that we don't know that.

No comments: