Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

medicated

So much has happened lately...And honestly I've been very involved with a post that I'll publish eventually but it takes time to write and so I haven't written in a long time.

So this is very quick because I'm groggy from my new migraine medication.  Here goes:
  • I started Topamax for migraine prevention.  If I can tolerate it (it has cognitive side effects) it may also be a weak mood stabilizer and can help with weight loss from psychotropic weight gain.  I'm increasing very, very slowly to decrease the risk of side effects.  This is day 2 and it just makes me tired so far.
  • My house passed inspection and is awaiting appraisal.  It closes in less than 3 weeks.
  • I made it 4 weeks without waiting to hurt myself and marked the occasion by realizing hours after I left Dr. Mind that he hadn't asked about it for the first time in many months.
  • My new niece will be here in the next 3 weeks.  Any time now really.  She is breach so my sister probably has to have another c-section.
  • My existing niece is showing signs of imitating some of the ways her mother treats me.  After I described this to Dr. Mind and he pointed out that she will treat me like her mother if I don't stop it with her mother I decided now isn't the time to take on my sister but I did make a point of letting my niece know that some of the things she said to me that day were not at all ok.  My sister pretty much let her think she can hit and bite me so those things are on my list too.  I may not be favorite Aunt Jen for a while but I am not going to be treated like that by a 3 year old.  And I love her too much for her to abuse me.
  • I am not awake enough to say more.  Topamax is an excellent sleeping pill thus far.  I won't know if it prevents migraines for 2 months unless a lower than usual dose helps.  I think that's possible because I"m on neurontin which can also help migraines but I'm on a very low dose.  Maybe they'll work together.

More later

2 comments:

Ruby said...

Hi Jen,
Our similarities are stacking up. I've had migraines since I was 19, and tried so many different migraine medications that I've run out of options. I take neurontin for migraines/fibromyalgia, and topamax for migraines. I'm really glad that you're titrating (sp?) slowly on the topamax. The side effects can be very difficult to deal with. It's the nausea and loss of appetite that get to me the most. The parasthesia (sp?) is no fun either. My Dr. had me start at 25mg a day and increase by 25mg a week until I got to 150mg a day. I'll probably increase to the maximum dose of 200mg once my body adjusts to the current dose. But my migraines sometimes last up to a week at a time. They're bad, really, really bad. Blindingly, retchingly bad. I wouldn't wish them on anyone.

Have you examined your diet for food triggers? If you haven't, I highly recommend that you do so. It can be a major pain in the a*s, but in the long run, it is so worth it. Once I discovered what my food triggers are, I managed to eliminate at least some of my migraines. Processed meats are a big one; anything with sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate, like cured meats. Lunch meats, bacon, salami, pepperoni, etc. Aged cheeses and red wines are triggers for a lot of people. Also, NSAIDs can cause rebound migraines.

I realize that you may already know all of this. But as a long time migraine sufferer, I empathize with anyone that has to deal with migraines on an ongoing basis.

I'm so glad things are looking up for you. Congratulations on the house. I hope things continue to improve. Good luck!

Just Me said...

Thanks for the information Ruby. I actually was on a migraine trigger free diet for years before they became a problem because I'm on an MAOI and the main triggers are restricted by that. I was allowed to bend the diet a little occasionally (ie I could have a little cheese) but I don't anymore. I added food preservatives a few months ago with good results. Now it's more trying the last few potential triggers my dr. knows anyone ever having just to cover all bases, and the topomax. Because of the MAOI I can't have anything to treat a migraine so I take vicodin which is only kind of effective. I spend a lot of time in pain dreaming about what I would do for just one dose of imitrex or relpax. But it won't happen because the MAOI has been the most effective medication I've been on (and there are no other antidepressant choices left) so changing it isn't an option.

I'm increasing the Topamax 25 mg every 2 weeks and am aiming for 100 mg. So it will be 2 months before I am on that dose. Hopefully it will get better sooner than that but it will be at least 2 months before I know. If we see signs it helps with mood then I suppose my psychiatrist will take over and get the dose higher. I've read that the best way to avoid side effects is to go very slowly with increases so my dr. is doing the right thing.

We'll see....