Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

This is not right

I've heard this complaint so many times about meds, but now it applies to my life, plus I hadn't looked at it carefully.

I take a medication called Provigil which is really a narcolepsy drug. It is a stimulant that helps the body wake up without being as stimulating as ritalin or the like. It can cause mania, but operates differently so that it's not as big of a risk. In my case I monitor the dose very carefully and have been able to notice very quickly if it did anything bad when the dose changed. I don't take it when manic or if I haven't had depakote to counter it. If it does make me manic I take an ativan immediately.

I wasn't allowed to try this med until the first time I stabilized a bit and had stayed pretty good for several months. It changed the quality of my life immensely. I was able to work 2 or 3 hours earlier, letting me get home before bedtime. I needed less than 20 hours of sleep per day. I did not have to sleep the entire weekend away every weekend. Fun re-entered my life.

At first my insurance just covered it. Then my doctor had to fight for coverage, but when she won it was lifetime approval. However, I have been through 2 companies (3?) since then and need to fight again.

There is a list of conditions it will be approved for. Bipolar is not one of them, which I can understand as its use is controversial with bipolars and I'm sure some doctors would not allow me to take it.

However, guess what is easier to get than this med that literally allows me to have a LIFE? V*iag*ra. It takes a generic diagnosis to get that without the doctor having to fight, but for me to get a medication that lets me stay awake means my doctor is going to have to fill out multiple forms.

This seems unfair.

No comments: