Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sick

Last weekend one of my nieces had a slight fever when they were here.  It went away quickly with tylenol and that was it.  A few days later her mom was feverish and nauseous and didn't feel well.  That was the day after we went to the zoo.  Last night I was fine when I went upstairs and was taking off nail polish when I realized I was going to throw up.  And I was right.

Because dehydration is really bad for me I have a script for Zofran to use when I start vomiting.  I think I'm supposed to wait until I've vomited 2-3 times but I am not sure and I also wasn't sure that it wasn't the start of a migraine, in which case I'm supposed to take it immediately.  But it won't stop me from vomiting if my body really needs to so it's ok.  I took that, realized I also had a low fever and eventually got to sleep.

I haven't vomited anymore but I clearly have had some bug.  I've spent all of today on the couch (my mom had to be away all day so I've had the puppy who hasn't had nearly enough walks or exercise) and am still not really liking food much.  I try to eat things and then feel sick again.  So mostly it's fluids.  I'm supposed to stay hydrated enough that my heartrate stays under 110.  That's ok; it's faster than usual but fine.

When I get sick, and thank God that is a lot less than it was when I worked with sick people, it always reminds me how inter-connected our minds and bodies are.  Last night's meds were vomited up.  I may have gotten some but not much.  Tonight I will take only some meds because I can't take with food in any meaningful way and some will make me sick if I do.  Lithium is out for tonight not only because it needs food but because I have to be careful that I don't raise my level and I probably am not hydrated enough for that.  Emsam (the MAOI patch) will stay off another day because if I am dehydrated with that on the medicine concentrates in my blood stream and causes an itchy rash that literally covers my scalp to my toes and requires ER treatment.

Therefore one mild stomach bug is going to mean that my psych issues are out of control for the next 3-4 days, depending on how long meds need to be happy together again.

I have to find a dog I let out who is apparently happy enough to not let me know it is getting dark. 

I'm so tired that I'm a terrible dogsitter.  How pathetic.

No comments: