Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Friday, November 21, 2008

My Theme Song

I keep mentioning this, because to me it is nothing short of miraculous: after 10 years of not tolerating music I am enjoying it again. There are weird consequences to this, including that I own very little music and what I do own is old. What I really wanted was to start a player with this song on my page, but that's not going to happen because the song is too old.

But anyway, the other night I popped CD in just to see what would happen. What happened was that I found songs I used to love. These are CDs from when I was in grad school, and I listened to most of them over and over while writing my thesis and doing other computer projects in my 8x6 little office in the trailer I rented. That was the coziest room I've ever been in; it was just so tiny. I loved it.

The reason for all these years of no music is that I developed what Dr. Mind thinks is a form of OCD, where I would be unable to get a song out of my head if I chanced to hear it. But back in grad school, before that symptom developed, I almost had the opposite reaction: I lived hearing the same songs again.

But anyway, the CD I popped in last night started playing and I was shocked to learn I still know the words. Then track 3 came up and I realized that this song perfectly describes life with bipolar from my standpoint. I will say this is a Christian song and if that's going to offend then please don't listen. The artist is Carolyn Arends and the lyrics are below if the link doesn't work. http://www.carolynarends.com/music/media/video/std.ram

Lyrics:

Seize the Day by Carolyn Arends

I know a girl who was schooled in Manhattan She reads dusty books and learns phrases in Latin She is an author, or maybe a poet A genius but it's just this world doesn't know it She works on her novel most every day If you laugh she will say

chorus: Seize the day, seize whatever you can 'Cause life slips away just like hourglass sand Seize the day, pray for grace from God's hand Then nothing will stand in your way Seize the day

Well I know a doctor, a fine young physician Left his six-figure job for a mission position He's healing the sick in an African clinic He works in the dirt and writes home to the cynics He says "We work through the night so most every day As we watch the sun rise we can say

chorus

Well I know a man who's been doing some thinking He's as bitter and cold as the whiskey he's drinking He's talking 'bout fear, about chances not taken If you listen to him you can hear his heart breaking He says "One day you're a boy and the next day you're dead I wish way back when someone had said

chorus

Well one thing I've noticed, wherever I wander Everyone's got a dream he can follow or squander You can do what you will with the days you are given I'm trying to spend mine on the business of living So I'm singing my songs off of any old stage You can laugh if you want, I'll still say

chorus
(C) 1995 Sunday Shoes Music (ASCAP)
_popupControl();


See what I mean?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been listening to a lot of Bishop Allen, and they have a song "The News from Your Bed" that describes my life since July.

Glad you are enjoying music again.

Jon said...

I'm offended by your mention of Christian music. Actually, my son Ryan wasn't just a fan of Christian music, he was a walking database. He knew it all, from pop to worship to hardcore. That was his thing for many years.

I'm happy for you, I truly am. Music is such a huge part of my life I often wonder how I'll fill the void if my hearing starts to fade.