Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Milestones

I often am captivated by a picture of my niece taken a year or 15 months ago. So much has changed. Back then she was in the practice-walking with anyone who will hold hands while she proudly high-steps phase. She has a few words but mostly used baby signs. She ate soft foods but many things like veggies were still baby food. And you blink and there's a little girl who doesn't even toddle much anymore except when she runs, who has graduated from those signs to saying sentences and paragraphs. Going back even further, I often stand in awe looking at a picture I have from the first time I saw her when she was a day old. Her little foot is near my hand and looks so tiny. Now she prefers not to wear them (just like her Aunt Jen) but she does wear shoes. With a child we look at these markers as developmental milestones. But in reality life is just a lot of milestones. We start kindergarten. We graduate from high school. We learn to drive. We finish college and get our first job, our first apartment. Many people marry and have children. The thing is that after a certain age it is no longer an obvious sequence. For me some of those things have been completing my master's degree, my rocky work history, my first psych stay, whooping cough (that's a big one), last year's surgery, various intervening times I don't remember well, and now this. That's all this surgery is. It's life-chaning, I hope in a good way, but at this moment it helps to think that it's just one thing and then life goes on for the next step. It's just hard to remember that for very long. Copyright 2006 www.masterofirony.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Michal Ann said...

God Calling:

I Must Provide

I am your Lord. Enough. Then I can command your obedient service, your loyalty. But I am bound by My Lordship to give you protection.

I am bound to fight for you, to plan for you, to secure you a sufficiency of all within My Power to provide. Think how vast that provision can be. Never doubt. Such marvels are unfolding. Wonders beyond your dreams. They only need the watering of a grateful spirit and a loving heart to yield abundantly.

And Thomas answered and said unto Him, My Lord and my God. John 20:28

----------------------------

Will you join me in "the watering of a grateful spirit...?" Is there a list to be made of all the things that are going well? Off the top of my head, you have a great team, provision to afford the treatment, a car, a mom, great ability to plan, Anne's love and admiration, a healthy kitty, families blessed by your sweet hats, a home...Seriously, would sitting down to make a list help boost your spirits and conquer that enemy who roams around like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour?

Love, Michal