Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Please let Reader's Digest know how offensive they are


I am a bit of a Reader's Digest nerd.  I've been a subscriber most of the time since I was 9.  I love it.  When I am not well like now it is perfect because the articles are short enough that I can understand, yet not written for children.

But when I read the most recent edition I was so insulted and upset and I will be cancelling my subscription permanently if they do not apologize in an upcoming episode.   What did they do that is so heinous?

In the April issue Reader' Digest ran a joke on pg. 57 as follows: Three guys are fishing when an angel appears. The 1st guy says "I've suffered from back pain for years. Can you help me?" The angel touches the man's back and he feels instant relief. The 2nd guy points to his thick glasses and begs for a cure for his poor eyesight. When the angel tosses the lenses into the lake the man gains 20/20 vision. As the angel turns to the 3rd man he instantly recoils and screams "Don't touch me! I'm on disability!"

As you all know I would give anything to not be disabled and I think that most people who are disabled feel this way.  It's not like living on social security and Medicare is financially rewarding or even easy.  And I make a lot more social security than most people.  In the last 2 years disability has taken my career that I loved, my home, my sense of self and my self-esteem.  When it is portrayed as something that I do because I don't want to be better my blood boils and I think about how the magazine publishing that must not want readers.

I am asking people to tell Reader's Digest this is offensive.  You can send an email to letters@rd.com

I sincerely hope enough people react that they retract this.  It hurt me enough to nearly make me cry, something that just doesn't happen lately unless I'm with Dr. Mind.



No comments: