Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Friday, September 30, 2011

This is bugging me

I may not be articulate and please forgive my spelling as the med kicks in about now, but something is running through my mind a lot. When I was admitted the resident immediately cut the zyprexa I'd been taking and cut 1/3 of my usual seroquel dose off. This was later explained as she was assuming the problem was my antipsychotics, not a med from surgery, and even my doctor was impressed when I figured out the probable cause: there are not many meds besides antipsychotics that cause akasthesia. When I finally knew what category of problem akasthesia fell under and was able to read more I saw that several nausea meds can rarely cause akasthesia. For whatever reason the clinic's chart on my tries to insist that I can't take Zofran which is not true but would have guided them from it. The other commonly used anti-nausea med makes me hallucinate. I have to request records to find out but I suspect I was given one of those meds, however when I mentioned this to my dr. he was impressed I figured this out and stated it was likely to be correct. What I am concerned about though is that both Dr. Mind and I raised the possibility of akasthesia to Dr. Brain. And while I appreciate she tried to keep me out of the hospital I am bothered that she never responded to either of us saying that until suddenly when I mentioned I couldn't stand it be away from my weighted blanket she said "that sounds like akasthesia". No kidding...But even then she left me on the additional zyprexa and my limited understanding says that I should have just stayed at my current level of Seroquel and gotten to the hospital, which did happen pretty fast. It just sounds like by adding antipsychotics (a process that I admittedly began) things may have been worsened. This is not her fault. Even not catching it is not her fault; it's rare and the typical trigger (a new antipsychotic) wasn't present. I only caught the anti-nausea med thing accidentally. I do wish she'd listened when I brought it up, or when Dr. Mind did.I wish she'd considered it at the very least. And perhaps she did and decided it wasn't likely enough to be concerned. Perhaps she left me on the additonal antipsychotic so I could be pulled rapidly with observation present. This just was Dr. Brain not acting like Dr. Brain. I also am feeling weird because when she had her secretary call to give me an appointment next week she made sure that "only 45 minutes" was emphasized. I am used to longer appointments, but it's not like I'm going to protest if she has limited time, especially with a work-in appointment. I think I said this before I was admitted but I hate it when she has the times she turns around and puts on a "I'm treating you firmly and with no chance for you to hear anything has changed in my tone", aka how people talk to irrational psych patients. Usually that only comes out when I'm refusing to accept something, anm avoiding beneficial change or something like that. But I still hate it and it's bad enough when she does it but having her secretary do it really annoys me. She's the dr. and if my sessions run long that is really her choice. And maybe she didn't have the secretary emphasize this but it certainly was emphasized. whatever. I just left a psych unit yesterday. I'm not in a good place to analyze things. More later.

No comments: