Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sensory Integration and Bipolar

This is a post I've put off writing for a long time and really shouldn't have. I suspect it is a bigger issue for a lot more bipolar patients than me, and it is making an enormous difference in my life. Since I have had the tools to address and diagnose this for many more years than I have had a diagnosis, I really regret that I never stopped to try it soon.

Back to basics first: As I've admitted here before, I'm a therapist. Specifically I'm an occupational therapist. One of the theories OTs are trained in is called Sensory Integration. I was very interested by this theory in school, so I have had extra training in it and have used it successfully in mental health practice. In very short this theory involves helping the body have increased awareness of itself which is calming to a nervous system that is hyperaware or less aware of where it is in space, what it is feeling, etc. A person with a disorder of this type either avoids feedback (will only wear certain fabrics, refuses to wear shoes, etc) or seeks extra feedback (chewing on things, rocking/bouncing, wearing many layers of clothes). It's sort of hard to give a great description because it is a pediatric theory which I manipulate to work for adults and it's hard to get some of the basics into an adult example.

Anyway, I have known for a very long time I had issues with this. I knew long before I knew about bipolar, like on the day it was first explained to me. I attributed it though to side effects of having been abused, for the most part.

About a year ago I started really using this with psychiatric patients. When I used it with a few who I knew had issues very similar to my own and I had incredible success I knew it probably would help me. So I decided to try it.

One of the greatest issues I face is that I become overstimulated extremely easily. The more manic I am the worse that is. Tiny noises make me crazy, as I've discussed. Things in my peripheral vision have nearly caused me to wreck my car. I generally lose control of my moods if I'm overstimulated too long.

At the worst of my illness this year I needed nearly total sensory deprivation at times to feel ok. I've described this as well, back in May. I used earmuffs designed for hunters to block sounds. I put up a hammock in my basement where almost no sound penetrates and the light is dim. I rarely left my house and avoided stores. I continue to use these things as needed. The hammock also is soothing as rocking is soothing. I plan to get a hammock chair for my living area eventually.

My greatest gift to myself ever has been my weighted blanket. I have had such horrible insomnia for the past 12 years that doctor after doctor gave up on fixing it. I had accepted I would always have trouble sleeping. Since I got the blanket, which weighs 9 lbs and helps the brain know exactly where the body is while under it, I have had insomnia ONCE and that was the night I was deciding to definetely quit my job. This has been 4 months now and I am routinely sleeping 6-8 hours per night.

There is more, but I'm out of time. I just wish I had tried to use what I knew to work sooner.....

13 comments:

Sarah Gee said...

I may now understand why, even in 100 degree weather I wear at least 2 shirts. I also sleep with the sheet, a blanket, my down and then TWO more blankets JUST for the weight. I need to do some more reading about this. Do you have any links you'd recommend reading? <3 me

Just Me said...

Sorry Sarah G, I gave you a new name!

I'll try to get those links this weekend.

freeda said...

I think I have the same thing. Any resources I could use to help my doc and therapist to integrate this information into my care plan?

Thanks SOOOO MUCH for posting about this.

Just Me said...

Freda-Just wanted to tell you I will answer in the next few days. I'll write a post to answer and email it to you as well if I have an address which I should.

Thanks for commenting, and if I don't have time on Thursday I will this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Hi "Just Me",

I am an OT too. The sensory stuff has come a long way since Aires' original Sensory Integration stuff, all the sensory tools I know of go across the age span. I went to Wilbarger's training recently, I'd highly suggest looking into it, she actually claims to cure sensory defensiveness permenantly (big call!). I'm staring down the barrel into a likely bipolar diagnosis (to be diagnosed officially in a few weeks) and I know I am very sensory defensive. I am wondering how much the hypervigilance of defensiveness, with the fight flight fright response associated with that effects what can look like bipolar, or perhaps what can contribute to it.

Anonymous said...

I have this too. For me a miraculous cure for insomnia came when I discovered ear plugs for sleeping. Those light weight ones called "Macks." They tune out that low hum of noise that most people don't notice but which keeps awake those of us with sensory problems. Since wearing them, I am able to fall asleep much easier. I highly recommend this simple adjustment.

Ana Gouveia said...

Hi!!! My name is Ana and I´m an OT sstudent, from Portugal. I´m very interested about sensory integration disorders in adults with mental ilness. I saw an article about SI treatment approaches and current evidence suggests that Sensory Integration treatment interventions are as effective. As OT, can you help me to find more information about this? Can you share your experience with me? I´ve discovered your blog a few minutes ago, and I´m really interested.

:)

sorry for my terrible English!!! ;)

Very Frustrated Mom said...

Does anyone have advice for how to handle the situation we face? Our son, age 11, is diagnosed with child onset bipolar, but before that, at age 4, we knew that he had sensory intergration issues, mostly with food textures and being overly sensitive to sounds. The issues seemed to subside somewhat over the years, but they are back with some differences, and over the last 2 years they are getting more serious. He withholds poop when the toilet available flushes electrically, because the noise is too loud and scary. He also goes through periods of weeks or months where he won't shower with soap or shampoo, because he doesn't like the slimy feeling of soap on his body and shampoo in his eyes. No matter what solutions we've come up with (tip his head backwards to rinse shampoo, use a bath mitt,change products) he will get started for a few days and then slip back. We're now monitoring his showers and and having him take more than one a day to push the issue. I'm at the point of despairing, because we keep going around and around on the same things without making any progress. Any thoughts?

Just Me Jen said...

Very Frustrated Mom
I'm very sorry I haven't gotten to answer you yet. I am afraid it will be weekend. Please check the main page of the blog this weekend. I'm having a hard time and just can't manage to answer despite wanting very much to do so until weekend.

Thanks
Just Me

Just Me said...

Very Frustrated Mom,
I will post as soon as possible. physically I'm limited right now and when i take painkillers i don't think or write clearly, which i want to do. i'm so sorry.

If you email me at masterofirony@gmail.com or masterofirony@att.net I'll try to respond privately.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm an OT, I have sensory processing issues and I have bipolar also.

I have found knowing and using sensory interventions on myself has made a big difference.

Do you think the sensory processing issues cause the bipolar or the other way around?

Anonymous said...

Anon 8:55-

I think it probably varies. For me I'm certain bipolar came first because I had issues from birth. However I was molested beginning at about 8 months and so I'm sure that caused things to get much worse.

I think that now that we identify sensory processing issues in kids (the theory wasn't even close to helping me) we have to be careful to not assume a causality though. I had issues with hyperacuity, textures, and impaired fine motor skills so that I learned to write clearly by the end of 2nd grade and I still don't use scissors correctly. I also didn't learn to alternate feet on the stairs until I was pulled from kindergarten to practice with a few other kids. So today I would have probably been seen in OT but I'm not sure it would have been for sensory as much as depth perception d/t strabismus. I am not sure that snsory would have been seen as a problem because I made myself function with it. For me sensory issues grew as bipolar symptoms did and then as the bipolar became very well established they became bigger issues. It helped vastly when I started seeing Dr.Mind who would point out my reactions to stimuli that were over the top, like ducking (minimally) whenever a loud noise was outside.
I also have fewer issues when I'm doing better with the bipolar. The place with the most issues now is the psych unit, and during time there I have constant issues and spend a lot of time with my weighted blanket.

I'm sure this varies from person to person but that's my take. How about you?
Just Me Jen

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon this blog and can relate and have a 4 year old that has been diagnosed with SID and perhaps something else. I took matters into my own hands. What works with my son is when he has a fear I stay strict firm but loving and get him through it. Then after a few times he is fine but something else starts. I changed his diet and I could write a book on the positives. I took all gluten and food coloring out of his diet and have seen 70% improvement. Trust me at first its overwhelming but will get easier. It's definitely not harder than dealing with the day to day trouble. I'm still learning but am on the right track