Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Monday, November 27, 2006

Tightrope

Writing won't show the emotion that goes with this post. I'm not sure what to even call the emotion, except that it is strong.

First and foremost, I still feel great. Every day now I wake up, think "still ok?", and then upon deciding it is, enjoy the day in a way I so rarely get to do. It's so hard to explain how much joy comes from knowing that for another few hours I get to enjoy things without trying. It's also hard to explain how much joy can come from tiny, tiny things after 2 years of feeling miserable.

I talked to my doctor today about my lithium problems. She agreed it sounds like my body doesn't like lithium anymore. She asked what happens if I'm not on lithium, and a great fear settled over me. I don't know. I have been on lithium nearly 5 years, since a few months before I was even diagnosed with bipolar (it was supposed to make my antidepressant work better-ha) and I truly don't know what happens if I'm off it. I'm barely on any now and doing fine, so what we know is that I no longer need as much as I used to.

The thing is that I can't live with the symptoms of toxicity. So I'm going to go to a really tiny dose and see what happens. Hopefully I'd just be ok. If I still seem toxic we'll go even lower until there is no choice but off. If my mood gets out of line then we'll try the only mood stabilizer I have not tried (aside from 2 antipsychotics that I am adamently opposed to trying).

I'm trying to be positive, but I'm also scared. This break from being sick is the best thing I've experienced in years and I can't stand the idea of going back to the bad place so quickly. The strong, positive me reminds myself that maybe I actually will break free of lithium and some of the ugliness associated with it, but I also know that lithium has been a constant in my life through this whole illness. Until a few months ago one of the easiest ways to change my moods was to alter my lithium dose a bit. Nothing else is so effective (except lowering my depakote is pretty sure to make me moodier) and so versatile.

But only time will tell what happens next.

No comments: