Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Friday, August 21, 2009

No Cheer Here

(Ok a little. My depression is getting better practically by the hour. Last night I fell asleep BEFORE 10, on purpose and before my meds had any chance to kick in. That's huge. In fact it might be a first. Ever. It also seems to be a sign that I'm possibly going to be even better than I was before this last month. I read last night that fish oil can be really good for people with bipolar. Wish that had sunk in before, since I read that somewhere I've been many times before.)

But this seems to be my week for reflection on sexual abuse. And today I am angry. I just read about a woman who sexually assaulted an infant. Which goes right into my life experience; the things that happened to me started at about age 9 months. Which is another story. But anyway, this woman was sentenced. To 5 years in prison. For assaulting a BABY.

Somehow this is one of those times the law seems wrong. I think there's a lot of crimes against children that should have a greater sentence for the victim being a child. There were quite a few crimes committed by men in my family, against both me and others. Not a nice family. These were big deal crimes. One of the molesters (who didn't molest me) was arrested and actually got off on a plea bargain with probation. I went to school with one of his victims. That child deserved my relative to have been in prison for more than a few days. Another one of them did something that is too specific to state. We'll just say that there was a major cover-up by a group of people who are entrusted with caring for children. If justice had been done his prison sentence would have been about 2 years. And what he did was, really, really, really wrong.

This is a crazy world. Big news, I know.

No comments: