Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Finally made an MAOI mistake

I have been so good for the last 7 months with making sure I followed my diet. I read labels on everything and pretty much have avoided any restaurant or homemade food that had even a chance of hurting me. The only time I've had any issues with reaction was that time I got sick and didn't know if I was sick that the patch had to come off. Oddly enough I now know that being dehydrated that time made a huge difference; my blood pressure was within normal limits but on the high end of that. If I had not been on the patch and had huge amounts of it in my bloodstream my BP should have been very low from the dehydration.

So anyway, this morning I pulled off a patch on my side and put a new one on my belly. I mainly use my belly as it is covered better by clothes and if people can see the patch they ask about it. But I have to rotate to my arms, chest, and hips for skin protection. A few minutes ago my arm itched and I found another patch on my arm. I don't know how many days it's been on there, at least 2 and possibly 3. The highest dose of this stuff you should take is 12 mg/day and I've had more like 18 mg/day (the patch continues to deliver meds past 24 hours and the stuff stays in your blood stream a long time).

I just peeled off every patch I had on and emailed Dr. Brain. My BP is ok, high for me but normal for humans, so I imagine I'm fine, but that's so scary. Messing up this stuff too much can kill you, which is exactly why MAOIs are the last choice anti-depressants, even though they are highly effective. I'm half-tempted to call the on-call line but am afraid of being told to come to the ER to be checked. I don't think I need that as I can monitor at home well enough and nothing is wrong as of now, and the psych ER is 2 1/2 hours away. But I suspect that would be protocol. Therefore I'm opting for watching my BP and hoping Dr. Brain checks her email soon. Which is doubtful as I believe her daughter is having a graduation party today if I remember right.

At least I know why I've been so sleepy.......


4 comments:

JourneyBeyondSurvival said...

I hope it gets sorted out soon. I can understand your frame of thinking. My daughter has health issues, along with me being bipolar. I find myself making the same sort of evaluative decisions too.

Get the rest you need.

Jean Grey said...

When I was on Parnate I accidentally ate something with cheese- the only time I can remember breaking the dietary restrictions. Well, it was a tiny amount, but my mother had just had a stroke- and I started having such anxiety that my BP started to go up. By the time I got to the ER my BP was fine and I felt like a fool. But you can't be too careful-watch your BP.

Anonymous said...

Hey there...haven't checked your blog for a while and wanted to check in on you today because, well, you inspire me when my depression (not bipolar) hits extra hard. so, before i keep reading, just wanted to let you know your blog helps at least one other person: me. hope you're feeling well today.

Anonymous said...

Hey, There . . . I hope today was a better day and that you're getting things under control. Those meds are precarious little things sometimes! Hang in there.