Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Three hilarious things (really)

There's been a lot of laughing around me today. First Dr. Brain had a good time with the email I sent her instead of Julia, which unfortunately happened to appear to be in code, something along the lines of "I think you sent me information on the PKD walk; can you send that again. If Gage's drs. suggest neurontin ever tread carefully, this is kicking my butt. I remember Dr Brain telling me that it wouldn't work as a mood stabilizer for me because it would knock me out before it helped." Let me know about pKd. Jen" Which is only a "tiny bit" confusing unless you are Julia and know what all that means and who or what Gage is. (somehow how I wrote it it wasn't easy to pick up out of context and Gage is a rare name up here. Then my mother said "well I should have shown her the email I got from you." I didn't know about this one, but from what I could tell my cat was being a brat and woke me at 5:30 and I tried to email. Here is that email in full: t is starting to look like I may be able to drive myslef Tuesday.. I seem to be getting adjusted to the new med; am fighting wiith Anna at 5 a<. Types due to not having clear vision yet but by 11 am I should. We'll see what happens but I 5HINK i mqy g4 pejuw5ijt. we'lll see. That is hysterical. I have NO memory of any of that, being up or typing. And finally, I said something to Dr. Brain about my discharge papers listing depression but never akasthesia which was weird since I was treated for that. She looked at the more involved discharge papers that I don't get a copy of and my dx there was (no kidding here ): "major depressive disorder, severe, with no psychotic features, possible bipolar I". Do you THINK? We laughed so hard about that. It was written by a resident who sat in on one of my sessions, that's it. But that whole session was about akasthesia. However, being diagnosed by one of the top 5 experts in the world on bipolar, followed by years of treatment by a psychiatrist who the hospital psychiatrist called the best psychiatrist on staff (at one of the top 20 psych hospitals in the US), I'm glad she is your doctor, and having lived bipolar (not to mention the meds usually taken in this combination by someone who is bipolar) for many years, yes, I think we can definitively say I am bipolar I. I have no idea where everyone decided I was depressed or even "crying". I cried 3 times and nobody knew it that i know off except the obvious time: once with a doctor. The other two times I was out of sight and nobody knew I cried or acknowledged it which they typically try to do what with being a psych unit and all. So I'm not thinking crying was a major issue. I kind of would think the fact that I paced the floors until my slippers wore out and then after that until my feet were bruised, that the fact I was (confirmed) on 1:1 on Sunday because I had no anxiety meds and so I was on 1:1 as much as possible to help me stay calm without pacing until I was so tired I couldn't walk anymore which I did Saturday (I think I walked 3 straight hours that day and the only stops were for water. It was miserable and the nurses were pretty concerned. I talked a million miles per minute, I had the speech difficulties that go with mania (although to be fair some of that could be sedation-related except it was there before I was sedated), I had documentation that I know of regarding mood swings, and well, once again I've been treated by one of the best doctors in the US if not world for 8.5 years and somehow she has a funny idea I have bipolar 1, hence the reason it's listed as my primary diagnosis. I just find this so funny. It's a perspective thing I guess; the resident who tried to cut my Seroquel dose by 33% because she refused to believe my primary psychiatrist believed that my akastesia was due to something given in surgery (later shown to be likely to be right and we'll know when my records come) she was insistent that akasthesia ONLY can come from antipsychotics (to be fair to her there are only a few drugs that cause it besides antipsychotics, but to be fair to Dr. Brain and I it is highly unusual to develop akasthesia 4 years after starting; it usually is in the first few weeks) she was telling my doctor was wrong and that all the treatments to date were wrong. Turns out that all her confidence and experience and not-so-great technique "Why do you have generalized anxiety?" I try to answer but I haven't' sat still in forever and was dying to move and eventually get kinda mad and sad "Look, my doctor diagnosed me. You'd have to ask her why as I apparently am not explaining it well but for perspective my psychologist believes that I have very severe bipolar but my anxiety is even worse. And I got choked up during that. Not crying, just emotional. Anyway, this person who knew so much and pretty much said that my doctor was misdiagnosing everything, well, she's been seeing patients for 3 months this week. Yep, a real expert. I am wondering if she has a reputation as my doctor saw who did the interview, was familiar with the name but hasn't met her and something made me think "and doesn't want to". Regardless it was an interesting day with a lot of funny stuff. I can't believe I left there with the diagnoses I did. The doctors of course pay attention to you about 15 minutes/day and so it is the nurses who really know what is happening. Apparently the dr. there needs to supervise his residents more closely on paperwork. But they were hilarious when left alone. Anyway, enough hilarity before I start typing too late and do something else weird.

No comments: