Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Psych meds suck (aka,what, that was too much information?)

I know there are 500 million reasons at least that I should be and am grateful to them, and I am because they have given me a pretty nice version of life, but OH.MY.THE.STUPID.SIDE.EFFECTS.

As long time readers may recall, a major part of the decision to switch to the MAOI last year was that the dose I needed of imipramine which I was taking then caused constipation that was causing my doctor to mumble things about "colonoscopy prep" and "there's something the surgeons recommend that I can't remember but it works intensely and if nothing else works I'll find out for you" because the constipation was so severe and NOTHING was helping.

After switching to the MAOI I gradually was able to cut back my stool softener use until I needed nothing, which was impressive because I'd taken so much for so long that it seemed unlikely my body would work without.  And then things snuck up on me.  Summer came and because of my diabetes insididus it does not matter how much water I drink in the summer it doesn't prevent dehydration.  I sort of forgot that. I literally lug a 30# cooler with me each and every day and 98% of it is water (and ice).  I drink several gallons during the day and it's not enough to keep things running smoothly.  And then the stress of Anne's birth and being sick compounded things and suddenly I realized that I haven't gained 7 lbs of fat lately, as evidenced by my belly which suddenly looks 5 months pregnant.  So I started treating it this week.  And nothing happened.   So this weekend has involved some serious treatment and nothing has helped.  I've had so much fiber in the last 24 hours (along with several types of medications) that my belly should be classified as a minor explosive.  And still nothing.  Interestingly I read today that severe constipation can cause UTIs by causing urinary retention, which I have.  I'm now going to have to pay attention to if the retenion is always there or just when things aren't working.  This though is about as bad as it has ever been.  I'm actually praying for a restless night......anything can be endured to get this to stop.

If nothing else it has to stop or none of my pants are going to fit Monday........:)

Ouch.........

1 comment:

Michal Ann said...

Yes, ouch! I'm glad you're being so assertive about treating this frustrating condition. I remember praying for you when I was eating my raisin bran......I'll step it up and cheer from the sidelines. It's NOT "too much information." It's critical. No WONDER you've been in pain and not feeling well. It doesn't help with the toxicity.



Try this. My sister made a version of BONANZA BREAD for me after birth. It would also be great "instant breakfast" or a healthy snack for your sister who will have similar needs for nutrition and functional "plumbing."

This recipe gives you fruit options. My sister's recipe included an orange blended up whole including the peel. There aren't a lot of directions with this first recipe but look it up with the link below. I'm sure it's just the basic dry + wet + stir (blend the fruit and wet stuff?).

BONANZA BREAD

(This bread has all the nutrients a person needs to get a good start in the morning. For the person who just does not have time or doesn't like breakfast!)

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,164,146182-226201,00.html

You could try subbing an entire small orange for one of the bananas or some other combo. I just remember it being really tasty and very EFFECTIVE.

A SECOND RECIPE:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,164,147181-225200,00.html (Has printer friendly version.)

1 c. flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 c. nonfat dry milk powder
1/3 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. unsalted dry roasted peanuts, chopped
1/2 c. raisins
3 eggs
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. molasses
3/4 c. orange juice
2 med. size bananas, mashed (1 c.)
1/3 c. chopped dried apricots

Combine flours, salt, soda, baking powder, dry milk, wheat germ, sugar, nuts and raisins in a large bowl; blend thoroughly with pastry blender or fork. Whirl eggs in container of electric blender until foamy. Add oil, molasses, orange juice and bananas, whirling after each addition. Add apricots; whirl just to chop coarsely. Pour mixture into bowl with dry ingredients. Stir just until all flour is moistened.

Pour into two 7 3/8 x 3 5/8 x 2 1/4 inch grease loaf pans. Bake in a slow oven at 325 degrees for 1 hour until center is firm when pressed lightly with fingertip. Cool slightly in pan on wire rack, then remove from pan and cool completely. When cool, wrap tightly and store overnight to mellow flavors. May be baked in greased muffin pan cups in a moderate oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Half the recipe makes 3 cups batter and 1 1/2 dozen muffins.