Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Monday, September 19, 2011

The nicest thing

You all probably have heard me talk (sometimes endlessly) about my weighted blanket.  Basically it's something I knew about as an OT but only for kids.  When I worked in a psychiatric setting I used it with several adults with extreme success.  About 6 months later I decided to try it for myself and that was the first night in my life that I knew what sleep was supposed to be.  I had a pediatric one for a while without nearly enough weight (it should be 10% of your weight) so my Christmas gift that year was a grown-up sized one that fits my double bed.  I got as much weight as I could because I know how much pressure helps me, and so I've been sleeping with a 22# weight on my bed for 5 years now.  The last time I was preparing to go in the hospital I got a wrap, which is long enough to cover most of me but narrow.  It has worked for travel in a pinch but right now I really, really need weight; I'm sleeping with both blankets so I'm covered from the next down.

The place that I've used the other times didn't have any premades with a soft, warm cover.  My big blanket it a fabric called Minkee dots that is extremely soft and rubbing it also calms me.  So I went elsewhere, remembering where Julia got Gage's blanket.   They had Minkee but it was kind of expensive for a back up blanket that won't get that much use.  So I got fleece, I think 10#s.  Not the ideal weight but what is easy to carry.I emailed them very late on Friday night about shipping rates and how fast they could get it here.  Ultimately I was asking them to get it here at a cost more than the blanket. Then this afternoon I got an email to not worry about the final cost (I'd asked to speed it up today and had called in my credit card), they were covering it.

I needed that kindness badly.  Not that there isn't tons of kindness in my life, there is, but the getting ready for the hospital thing is so very hard, especially because I don't really know what they'll do and I'm very anxious about a few things that probably nobody has control over, like there are 2 private rooms out of 6 rooms.  I am terrified of having a roommate; I don't sleep well with quiet, much less someone else in the room.  And I dread the idea that the one nurse who I had so much trouble with could still be there.  I pray she has retired or moved on, but I won't know until I am there.  It's also weird to be preparing to go to the hospital when the last time I was so suicidal. This time that's one thing I'm not.  I'm very high risk because of the mood swings, but it's not what I feel.  I don't think I can present as normal, especially if you know me, but I'm not the tearful depressed person of last time.  Now I have way, way too much energy, and yet the chief complaint of "can't sleep" seems very odd to be the reason I'm going into the hospital.

Assuming I am.  I really wish in our exchange this morning I had a yes or no that I was getting referred. I'm sort of assuming Dr. Brain will call me later  but that's a guess.

Anyway I'm trying to get my room ready to vaccuum up the yarn scraps that are bugging me.  (Have to put away laundry first.  I hate folding sheets and guess what is in the big basket in front of me?)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear about kindness and a comforting new blanket. You're doing really well managing all these things. I have a ton of work to do for massage school. Massage has proven benefits for asthma treatment, diabetes, etc. Please consider it.

The books aren't just calling me, they're SCREAMING for attention so I'd better run but I won't stop praying for your best!

Michal (((kind hugs)))