Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:13

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pray for my patients

I caught what I have at work. I've honestly started thinking H1N1 was going around, as we've had people with all the symptoms-respiratory, nausea and vomiting, high fevers, etc. And then they get pneumonia.

Just yesterday we had at least 2 (maybe 3) go out with this to the hospital. And another has chosen no hospital transport, so essentially that person is probably just going to die from it at the nursing home, or fight it off on their own.

This is a horrible bug. I spent the whole night in horrible pain in my belly and body aches, vomiting and diarrhea and a high fever. I still have a high fever; I have my furnace on 75, I have on sweat pants, a t shirt, a sweatshirt, wool socks and I'm underneath a heavy down comforter, 2 lighter down blankets, my weighted blanket (which is made of 2 thicknesses of a very heavy fabric), at least one more blanket and 2 down throws. And I'm shivering still.

I truly thought most of the night and until about an hour ago that I was going to either wind up at the ER or at the very least calling Dr. Body's answering service, because of the danger of dehydration with diabetes insipidus, and I couldn't tolerate even an once of fluid until 2 hours ago. I even had decided what hospital to head to (it gets tricky. The local ones suck. There is a slightly better one 30 minutes from here where I had a HORRIBLE experience several years ago, when I was treated absolutely when I had a med complication. There are 3 in the city, but if I go that far than it becomes questionable whether I should just head to the major hospital where Dr. Brain is and where more than one person may have heard of DI. This time I was heading for Dr. Body's hospital. Really, really need to get this clarified with him.......)

Anyway, this has been a terrible experience for me. I can't imagine it for my elderly patients, and I have no doubt there will be several deaths because this is vicious. The fever alone is something else.

So please, if you pray, do so. This is a bad bug, and not only is it really bad when the patients get it and suffer, but they'll also suffer if staff get it. Hopefully that won't happen and I'll have gotten it because I have been so very sick lately that my immune system wasn't working great, but if staff get it then there are either shortages or staff who don't know the patients, and either way care declines. This also can/will cause quarantine if it gets much worse, and that means no visitors, no patients out of their rooms, and it is thoroughly depressing for the patients, especially at this time of year.

I just now took tylenol, so hopefully my fever will come down, and I've at least had a little to eat. Now I need to get something with electrolytes in me. This part gets tricky because I am so sick that looking into the fridge makes me ill. Enough so I'm about to get my ginger ale out of there and put it in the garage.

1 comment:

Michal Ann said...

I WILL pray. I appreciate your compassion. I got the Hong Kong flu when I was a teen and can understand the vulnerability of the immune compromised and the elderly. You're doing a great job of self-care; better than I might do under the circumstance.
Keep goin.'

You did a fine job of posting from underneath your pile of blankets. Can you use a heating pad or microwaved gizmo? My PT once recommended 5# brown rice in a pillow case. Tie it with a string if you don't have a zipper case and put a second case on for laundering. Heat it 4 minutes in the microwave. It stays warm for hours under the covers and is so comforting. The same one can be nuked hundreds of times. I call mine rice bag "Norm" because Norm Rice was the mayor of Seattle at the time. Could your sister bring some stuff over to help you?

Perhaps this scripture will encourage you and your tender heart for your patients:

Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

Psalm 82:3-4

This illness is certainly wicked and not part of God's original design for His creation!

I pray you'll be stronger soon and don't go back to work before you're much better!

In Christ, Michal